SEIU local 26 is a dynamic local of over 8000 mostly low wage janitors and security officers in Minnesota, who clean and protect some of largest corporate headquarters in the world, and who have a proud history of militant fights for racial and economic justice in the worksite and in the community. Some of the highlights:
- Our members were some of the first security officers in the country to go on strike and use civil disobedience win their first contracts, which remain some of the highest standards in the country.
- Our Janitors, a mix of Latino, East African, and African Americans, created an alliance with the Sierra club and almost struck in 2010 to win a contract that included some of the first Green Cleaning language in the country. Most recently, in 2016 they struck for one day to bring over 60% of workers immediately to the goal of $15/hour.
- We have created dynamic community coalitions and led groundbreaking campaigns on powerful corporation, like Chipotle (becoming one of the first Major US companies to come out publicly for comprehensive immigration reform), and Target (supporting “ban the box” hiring policies, and adopting a responsible contractor policy for its cleaners)
This position will report to the Member Resource Center (MRC) director, and is responsible along with a team for contract enforcement for over 8000 members in the Twin cities. This position requires good inter-personal skills, good team work (as you must work closely with the rest of the staff and stewards to resolve often complicated issues), and a deep dedication to justice. Fluency in a second language preferred – Spanish or Somali especially) and computer skills, and experience with case management or labor law highly recommended.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Member advocacy and contract enforcement, including member intake, grievance investigation and filing, processing grievances through arbitration, negotiations with employers and Labor management meetings, and processing of other relevant city, state or federal charges as needed (NLRA, EEOC, DOL, etc)
- Maintaining a database that captures the work of the department (currently CLIO), using it to analyzing patterns based on data, and developing plans/campaigns to address problems that are occurring across multiple worksites.
- Coordinating work and communication with the MRC and other departments of the union (such as “internal organizers”, “external organizers” and stewards in the worksites.)
- Developing training opportunities for staff and stewards and the membership more broadly to deepen their understanding of contract enforcement and other laws protecting workers.
- This position also covers the call center, which receives calls from members, and must answer questions about the union, the contract, the law and other community resources, actively resolve low level issues
Pay and Benefits:
This is a full time position, beginning as soon as possible. Pay includes a full package of healthcare, pension and other benefits, in line with a low wage workers organization. A Car and driver’s license is required. Location: Minneapolis MN. Interested applicants should email resume to email@example.com
Did you like this? Share it: