SEIU local 26 is a dynamic local of over 8000 janitors and security officers in Minnesota, the people who clean and protect some of largest corporate headquarters in the world and who have a proud history of militant fights for social and economic justice.
- Local 26 members were some of the first security officers in the country to go on strike and engaged in acts of strategic civil disobedience to win their last contract, and struck again in 2013 to raise standards within their industry across 2000 suburban and downtown officers.
- In 2009 and 2019 the janitors of the union, a multilingual bargaining unit made up of Latin American, East African, and American-born workers, created an alliance with the Sierra Club and other environmentalist allies went on strike to win a groundbreaking contract that included some of the first Green Cleaning language in the country, and later won a green cleaning education fund.
- Local 26 led campaigns to hold Chipotle accountable for its treatment of immigrant workers, resulting in Chipotle becoming one of the first Major US companies to come out publicly for progressive comprehensive immigration.
This internal organizer will be a part of a team of internal organizers for our union. The position will coordinate and help to develop strategy and program for the janitorial sector of 4000 members within the Local, including enforcement of the existing contract and the fight for the next one. May supervise brigades (members on short term leaves of absence). Worksite organizing experience with low income, diverse workers, and computer skills, highly recommended. A significant part of this membership speaks Spanish.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Building an extensive and comprehensive network of worksite leaders, member-activists; developing a member leadership program, working with potential members to identify, train and develop rank and file leaders;
- Recruiting and mentoring of new stewards, leaders and activists; Engaging in one-on-one persuasion, assessment and motivation of workers at the worksite, in meetings, on the phone and on home visits as necessary.
- Designing, preparing, and distributing meeting notices, flyers, newsletters, and other literature;
- Maintaining organizing lists and databases;
- Planning and coordinating grievances, meetings and public actions to enforce contract language and win new contracts;
- Mobilizing membership and ensuring turn-out for community, political and union events;
- Working collaboratively with other union staff in other skill areas
Pay and Benefits:
This is a position beginning in first quarter 2021. Pay is on a scale commensurate with a union of low-wage members. Healthcare and other benefits are included. A car and valid driver’s license are required. Location: Minneapolis-Saint Paul Metropolitan Area, Minnesota. Local 26 is an equal opportunity employer and, given our diverse membership, we particularly encourage applications from women and people of color, and candidates from our own membership.
Interested applicants should send resumes to email@example.com