Position: Clerical data December 2018
SEIU local 26 is a dynamic local of over 8000 mostly low wage janitors and security officers in Minnesota, who clean and protect some of largest corporate headquarters in the world, and who have a proud history of militant fights for racial and economic justice in the worksite and in the community. Some of the highlights:
- Our members were some of the first security officers in the country to go on strike and use civil disobedience win their first contracts, which remain some of the highest standards in the country.
- Our Janitors, a mix of Latino, East African, and African Americans, created an alliance with the Sierra club and almost struck in 2010 to win a contract that included some of the first Green Cleaning language in the country. Most recently, in 2016 they struck for one day to bring over 60% of workers immediately to the goal of $15/hour.
- We have created dynamic community coalitions and led groundbreaking campaigns on powerful corporation, like Chipotle (becoming one of the first Major US companies to come out publicly for comprehensive immigration reform), and Target (supporting “ban the box” hiring policies, and adopting a responsible contractor policy for its cleaners)
This position is responsible for data entry, clerical and general support for the organizing and contract enforcement for over 8000 members in the Twin cities. This position requires strong typing, data entry, and computer skills, as well as good inter-personal skills (as you must work closely with the rest of the staff and stewards), and a deep dedication to justice. Fluency in a second language preferred – Spanish especially.
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Large volume of Data entry for various membership databases, including UnionAdmin, VAN, and cleo.
- Project management and general support, for one time projects in Member resource center, organizing, political, research/communication departments.
- General support of the team, such as coverage of phones or doors or logistics at a member meeting or action.
Pay and Benefits:
This is a full time position, beginning as soon as possible. Pay includes a full package of healthcare, pension and other benefits, in line with a low wage workers organization. Location: Minneapolis MN. Interested applicants should email resume to email@example.com